Post a job to USACOPS Criminal Justice/Education Programs
Chief of Police
Location: US-PA-Ferguson Township
Compensation: $77K - $104K / Year
Minimum Education: Bachelors
Job Type: Full TimeEmail this job to a friend
Ferguson Township, PA, population of 18,310, seeks experienced police leaders as applicants to serve as the Township’s next Chief of Police. The incumbent is retiring after 13 years as the agency’s Chief of Police. Ferguson Township is located at the southern edge of Centre County adjacent to the Borough of State College, and home to The Pennsylvania State University (Penn State). The Township encompasses an area of approximately 50 square miles.
Ferguson Township is near the University Park Airport and is accessible by a major highway, Interstate 99. The Township is a home rule community and one of six municipalities that voluntarily participates in the Centre Region Council of Governments, the oldest COG in the Commonwealth. The Township is a blend of suburban and rural character, enjoying all the amenities offered by a major university while retaining the rural charm of its many acres of beautiful farmland and public open space. It has been recognized as the 3rd Best Place to Live in Pennsylvania in 2016 and prides itself on its 50-year history of regional cooperation, extensive park system, strong financial position, and notable activities related to environmental sustainability. The Township has been designated as a Sustainable Pennsylvania Certified Gold Community. https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/ferguson-township-centre-pa
The Ferguson Township Police Department is staffed by 22 sworn police officers, 2 full-time Administrative Personnel, a part-time Ordinance Enforcement Officer and 2 part-time Crossing Guards. Officers, Corporals and Sergeants are represented by a Fraternal Order of Police collective bargaining unit. The Police Department works cooperatively with other Centre Region law enforcement agencies, including Patton Township, State College Borough and Penn State University police departments. In furtherance of its goal of providing a safe community, the FTPD participates in a Regional Drug Task Force coordinated by the Pennsylvania Bureau of Narcotics Investigations, as well as Crisis Negotiation, Intervention and Tactical Response Teams. Ferguson Township has been recognized as one of the safest cities in the state; 50th on the SafeWise 2015 Safest Cities in Pennsylvania Report. http://www.safewise.com
The Department is also in the process of preparing for certification review for the Pennsylvania Law Enforcement Accreditation Program sponsored by the Pennsylvania Police Chiefs Association, as well as implementation of a new regional mobile data and records management system.
The Township is seeking an innovative and collaborative professional with proven managerial, strong interpersonal and customer service skills. Successful candidates must have an outgoing personality and be approachable and accessible to residents, visitors, business and governmental leaders. The next Chief of Police must be open and available to all Police Department staff and Township employees, welcoming partnerships within Township government and with external stakeholders. Candidates must be committed to training, professional development and community engagement.
• Bachelor’s degree in a closely related field is required and executive management certificates including the FBI National Academy, Northwestern University Center for Public Safety or other similar State and/or National programs is highly desirable. A Master’s Degree in Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement and Justice Administration, Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field is preferred.
• At least 10 years’ of progressively responsible experience in a township, county, municipal, state or federal law enforcement management position, with at least 5 years in a Command position equivalent to a Lieutenant, Captain, Commander, Deputy Chief, or Chief.
• Candidates must have Municipal Police Officer Education and Training Commission (MPOETC) and Pennsylvania ACT 120 certifications, or able to acquire certification within one year.
• An equitable balance of administrative and operational law enforcement experience.
• Excellent Communications Skills, with experience in public and media relations.
• Labor relations/Collective bargaining experience.
• Must be a team and relationship builder.
• Must embrace and practice the principles of community policing.
• Must be a leader who can apply policies fairly and uniformly for all members of the Department.
• The Chief of Police is expected to have excellent financial management skills and a clear understanding of resource limitations while avoiding micromanagement.
• The Chief of Police is expected to be a strategic thinker, anticipating issues or trends and must be open to new approaches and technologies while also thinking beyond the walls of the Police Department, understanding the needs of the Township as a whole and of the region’s public safety community.
The annual salary range for this position is $77,000-$104,000, depending upon qualifications. The Township of Ferguson also offers an attractive benefits package.
FERGUSON TOWNSHIP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Interested professionals should apply online with resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references by April 24, 2017 to consultant Joe De Lopez at: www.govhrusa.com/current-positions/recruitment
Electronic submissions are required. Telephone inquiries: GovHR USA (847) 380-3240
630 Dundee Rd
Northbrook, IL 60062